The objective of this assignment is to have you to find and evaluate an opinion piece (editorial) on a recent policy or economic concern that has been discussed in the class (since Exam 2). The most promising topics are:
• Opinions and policies on inflation
• Opinions and policies on unemployment
• The Impacts of Fiscal &/or Monetary policies. Hint: Can they prevent recessions for instance?
• Identity and its impact on wages and socioeconomic interactions. If you go this route, simply provide a 2-paged summary of one chapter from the book (see PDF file version of the Identity Economics book on canvas).
I would like you to:
1) Find a recent (past two years) editorial or opinion piece on the issue;
2) Evaluate the arguments put forward in the piece based on:
a. Your understanding of the issue based on ECO 101
b. Evidence related to the issue (data in table or figure) from some published source
c. Do you believe the editorial is correct on the economics of the issue?
i. Provide an explanation based on your understanding from ECO 101.
ii. Do the data you have found support or refute the argument
The assignment consists of a written component. Where applicable a figure is recommended (you create) and the figures/tables you have found to support your arguments. The written component should be 2 pages (12 pt Times New Roman, Double-spaced, 1” margins).