□ ‘Submitted’ entered in database (Staff initial ______ Date _________ XXXXXXXXXXJoy: _________ _________________
□ Results emailed to student (Staff initial ______ Date _______) Results entered in database (Staff initial ______ Date _______)
□ Updated results emailed to student (Staff initial ____ Date ______) □ Final results entered in database (Staff initial ______ Date_____)
ASSESSMENT COVER SHEET
QUALIFICATION: Graduate Diploma of Management (Learning)/ Graduate Certificate in Management (Learning)
UNIT CODE: BSBLDR801 Lead personal and strategic transformation
Candidates: Submit this entire document
CANDIDATE to complete this section
JUAN CAMILO GIRALDO
Date resubmitted (1)
Date resubmitted (2)
IF ASSESSMENT TAKEN HOME BY STUDENT FOR CORRECTIONS:
I confirm that I am taking the marked assessment home to make co
ections. In case the assessment is misplaced or lost, I understand that it is my responsibility to resubmit the assessment again.
Candidate declaration—By signing/ initialing below, I declare that no part of this assessment has been copied from another person’s work with the exception of where I have listed or referenced documents or work and that no part of this assessment has been written for me by another person. I have understood and accept the assessments
Signed: ___________________________ Date: __________________________
ASSESSOR to complete this section
XXXXXXXXXXRESULT IN EACH ASSESSMENT ITEM
Did not submit
ASSESSOR to complete this section
Name of assessor:
Date portfolio review completed:
Not Yet Competent
Oral testing (if applicable)
Assessors may ask the candidate oral questions to gather further supporting evidence, where written evidence is deemed to be incomplete or insufficient.
ASSESSMENT GUIDELINES FOR STUDENTS
1. You need to achieve a ‘Satisfactory’ grade in ALL the assessments items to be granted a ‘Competent’ grade in the unit.
1. In case you are not able to achieve a ‘Satisfactory’ grade in any assessment task, you will be given three (3) attempts to resubmit your assessment. Your trainer will be available to assist you in any areas of difficulty. Please discuss the assessment with your trainer to seek advice on how you can achieve competency in the unit.
1. Where relevant, oral questions may be asked to gather more information on your knowledge, skills and competence in the unit.
1. A holistic approach is used to assess your skills relevant to this qualification. The skills are assessed across the different units offered within this qualification. Where a skill relevant to this unit is not assessed within this assessment pack, please note that the skill will be assessed in another unit. In particular, aspects f this unit are covered in ‘BSBINN601B Manage organisational change’
1a: What is leadership?
1. Think of three people you know whom you consider to be effective leaders. In a few words, describe what makes the person an effective leader.
2. In your own words, explain what you understand by the following:
a. Trait theories of leadership
. Behavioral theories of leadership
c. Contingency theories of leadership
3. What are the key differences between a manager and a leader?
4. What do you understand by social corporate responsibility?
5. Is it important for leaders and organisations to demonstrate social corporate responsibility? Why or why not?
1b: Mission, vision and values
1. What is the purpose of an organisation’s vision and mission?
2. Why is it important for employees to understand and support the values, vision and mission of the organisation?
3. What happens when employees don’t understand and support their organisation’s values, vision, mission and strategy?
4. As a leader, what steps would you take to ensure that your employees understood and supported your organisation’s values, vision, mission and strategies?
5. List at least four Federal laws (legislation) that you need to be aware of as a leader of an organisation.
2a Influencing teams and individuals
Theory Questions (Answer all the 3 questions below)
1. Select three effective methods of motivating people that you have witnessed at your workplace and explain them in terms of the theories of motivation that you have studied in this unit (300 words)
2. What are the characteristics of an effective team? (100 words)
3. List and define the development stages of a team and the way team leadership needs to change as the team develops. (250 words)
2b Influencing teams and individuals
Read the scenario below and answer the questions that follow
(Source: Scenario provided by Beth Flynn, Program Specialist - Leadership Education, Ohio State University Extension Leadership Center XXXXXXXXXXhttp:
You are the supervisor of your department, and have just returned from a family vacation. The minute you get to work, employees are coming to you and telling you there were several blow-ups/arguments in the department while you were on vacation. Three employees have been involved in a heated battle, and have been taking their stress out on each other (they used to be good friends). What started out at as just taking stress out on one another, and small conflicts, has grown into a heated battle. The three employees perform a vital function in your department, and since the disagreements started one month ago, the employees haven’t been fulfilling their job responsibilities like they have in the past, and productivity is going down. This constant conflict is taking its toll on the other employees in your department.
Write a detailed report on how you would handle this situation. Structure your report using the following headings (500 words):
1. Introduction (Rewrite the situation in your own words)
2. Issues (What are the underlying issues that are causing the problems?)
3. Impact of the cu
ent situation (Describe the impact the situation is having at the workplace)
4. List all the detailed steps that you will take to solve the problem (Use your understanding of leadership and team building theory to think about the best course of action)
5. List at least 6 tactics you can use to influence the group and achieve the desired result (In your response refer to the theory)
6. Out of the above tactics, which tactic/s would you use to get the team functioning smoothly? Explain why you would choose this tactic?
Analysis of a leader’s style
This assessment has TWO parts
Read the ‘Readings’ provided to you by your trainer and answer the following questions:
1. Explain the four components of transformational leadership in your own words (300 words)
2. Read the essay on ‘Charismatic Theory’ by Jay A. Cogner. Explain why the ’second stage’ is important for a leader to be charismatic. (300 words)
PART B: LISTEN TO MARTIN KING LUTHER’S SPEECH
1. Listen to Martin Luther King’s famous speech- ‘I have a dream’ https:
The original transcript is given below: (http:
2. Answer the questions below. For each question, you need to reflect on the ‘transformational leadership theory’ and the ‘charismatic theory’ and link it to the speech.
a. Using the three stages of charismatic theory, explain why most people believe that Martin Luther King was a charismatic leader (600 words)
In your response, please make sure that you use references from the theory at least once or twice in every paragraph. You must also use extracts from the speech and link it to the theory to explain your point of view
. Analyse Martin Luther King’s speech in terms of the four components of transformational leadership. Do you believe that he was a transformational leader? Why or why not?
ASSESSING YOUR OWN LEADERSHIP STYLE
This assessment has TWO parts
1. Complete the leadership quiz below:
Answering ‘Yes’ to question 1, 2 and 3 is a sign of weak sensemaking
Answering ‘Yes’ to questions 5, 6 and 7 is a sign of weak visioning’
Answering ‘Yes’ to questions 12, 13, 14 and 15 is a sign of weak inventing
Answering ‘Yes’ to questions 16, 17 and 18 is a sign of weak relating.
2. Read the pages XXXXXXXXXXincluded in your ‘Readings’. Reflect on any areas that you need to develop as leader based on the results from the above quiz.
Needs to be done also. My details are. JUAN CAMILO GIRALDO
SET AS A PASWORD: juan2013
3. Complete an online questionnaire about yourself that shows you your character strengths: https:
You will need to register as a user and then go to the Questionnaires>VIA Survey of Character Strengths
a. What are your top 6 character strengths according to the above questionnaire?
. Refer to the transformational theories of leadership.
i. Write a
ief analysis of your own leadership style
ii. What strengths or qualities do you already have that demonstrate that you are a transformational leader?
iii. What skills do you need to develop to become a transformational leade
BSBLDR801- Assessment Pack -Version June18 Page 1 of 4
STUDENT NAME: ___________________________________________________________ STUDENT ID: ________________
ASSESSMENT RECEIPT DATE: ________________________ RECEIVED BY: ________________________ (ACTB staff to sign)
BSBLDR801- Assessment Pack -Version June2018 Page 23 of 23
� This course is “interactive” – ask questions
� Respect, Confidentiality, Practice
� Ground Rules:
◦ Support other learners
◦ Patience with others
◦ Be on time
◦ Speak to trainer if any concerns
� There is no easy definition of leadership
� In its simplest form, leadership is the ability
to inspire, motivate and stimulate others to
achieve a set of common goals.
� leadership is the ability to create a vision and
inspire support and confidence within teams
� To be a good leader, one has to make a
Activity 1a Question 1
There are numerous competing theories of
leadership that have been proposed over the
� Trait Theories
� Behavioural Theories
� Contingency Theories
� These theories:
◦ are based on the belief that leaders possess certain
traits or natural qualities which are required for