Taxation Law MA613
This is an individual assignment, students are able to research this assignment online. Submission will be online.
Writing should be no more than 2,000 works, and can take the format of a report, whereby the 5 different questions are answered.
Due Date: Friday 10th June, 2020.
Individual assignment 20%
Purpose: To read and report on a Tax Ruling by the ATO.
· The purpose of the assignment is to encourage students to access the considerable the resources of the ATO by using the internet.
· Students are to choose from one of the topics and find a ruling or rulings on that topic and make some pertinent comment from a reading of information supplied by the ATO.
· The topics suggested are part of the course to be taught this semester.
· Marks will be given on the basis of a student’s:
Ø Evidence of reading and understanding of the topic
Ø The making of relevant comments on important aspects of the topic
Ø Presentation and expression in each response.
Choose from one of the following topics
5. TR 98/9 Tax ruling regarding self-education expenses.
Students are to answer each of the following 5 questions
1. Explain essentially what the ruling is about under taxation law principles.
2. Explain the issue addressed by this ruling, ie why is there a ruling on this topic, are there particular arguments over the topic matter between the ATO and individual taxpayers?
3. What common law or existing legislation does the ruling refer to? Explain briefly.
4. Did the ruling give examples, and clearly explain the issues and how the ruling determines the law?
5. How useful is this ruling for tax planning purposes?