BUHRM5912 – HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT ASSESSMENT THREE: INDIVIDUAL REPORT
Details of Task:
Prepare a report in which you 1. Identify and describe (two to four) HRM issues that have arisen at the strategic and operation level of the organisation as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, 2. Evaluates appropriate HR responses to address the identified issues and 3. Provides appropriate and well-justified recommendations to the organisation.
“The Newspaper Club” (TNC), an Australian ‘high-end’ restaurant, operating in Melbourne, has had
its operations drastically impacted by the restrictions imposed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In January 2020, TNC employed a total of 60 staff across the business; including chefs and cooks, servers, kitchen aides, and business operations and management staff. Staff were employed on the relevant Award, with the employment structure including a mix of full-time (permanent), part-time (yearly contracts) and casual employees. TNC sees themselves as a leading employer in the restaurant industry. While paying staff at the award rate, they offer a range of HRM initiatives to maintain employee engagement, such as offering flexibility, positive work climate, and ongoing training and development opportunities. TNC has typically enjoyed turnover that is lower than the industry average, with many staff (including some casuals) having over 10 years of service with TNC. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, the restaurant offered only within-restaurant dining, priding themselves on their reputation for high quality cuisine and dining experience (including restaurant ambience and dining service).
Commencing March XXXXXXXXXX, Level 3 restrictions were introduced by the Victorian Premier Dan Andrews. The following day TNC was required to cease within-restaurant dining. To continue operations, TNC immediately began offering a take-away service. Despite the switch from within- restaurant dining to take-away service, patronage and revenue have substantially dropped, estimated at a reduction of 50% from prior COVID-19 numbers. Consequently, staffing needs have changed drastically. The Newspaper Club is committed to surviving the restrictions imposed by COVID-19 and resuming operations once the restrictions are lifted.
The Newspaper Club recognises that their HRM and employees have been severely affected by the implications of the COVID-19 pandemic. TNC has hired you as an HR consultant to update their HRM strategic and operational plan for the next 12 months. In doing so, TNC asks that you specifically identify the strategic and operational HRM issues they are currently facing/likely to face in the next
12 months, and, provide recommendations to address those issues at the strategic and operational level.
Prepare a business report that meets these task requirements.
A suggested format for your report is:
Preliminary Report Components (Title Page, Executive Summary, Table of Contents)
1. Introduction (Briefly introduce the report and the scenario).
2. HRM Issue identification (Briefly list 1 or 2 strategic level HRM issues and 1 to 2 operational level HRM issues that have (or are reasonably likely to have) arisen for “The Newspaper Club” as a result of the implications of the COVID-19 pandemic. Such HRM issues may be in the areas of (but are not limited to): Maintaining/Re-gaining competitive advantage through HRM, HRM for productivity and performance, HR planning, Reward Management, Training and Development, Industrial Relations, Employee Wellbeing, Employee Work/Life Balance, etc.).
3. Discussion of the HRM Issues (Explore and discuss the identified HRM issues drawing on HRM
research and theory, and current media publications).
4. Evaluation of Alternative Responses (Explore and evaluate some possible ways “The Newspaper Club” could respond to the identified HRM issues. Use HRM theory and current factual information to support your exploration. For example, a discussion that identified Reward Management as an issue should consider the Job Keeper program in this evaluation section).
5. Conclusion and Recommendations (Provide a conclusion and list of specific recommendations to help “The Newspaper Club” respond to then changes in operations caused by the COVID-19 pandemic).
Notes on this Assessment Task
· Use numbered sub-headings as appropriate.
· At least ten references are to be used, five of which are academic sources, such as peer- reviewed journal articles and/or chapters from edited books.
· Ensure you demonstrate your application of HRM theory to this current, real world scenario.
To achieve a high grade on this assessment you will need to integrate HRM theory into your analysis of the issues and evaluation of alternative responses.
Word Limit: 2,500 words (+/- 10%, excluding preliminaries and reference list)
Presentation Requirements: Business Report format.
Estimated return date: Two weeks after submission
Marking Criteria: Refer to marking rubric