Module 8 – Response Questions Assignment
Introduction to Biotechnology (4th Edition) by Thieman, W.J. and Palladino, M.A. 2018.
Pearson Higher Education (ISBN-13: XXXXXXXXXX).
To answer the following questions, read Chapter 8: DNA Fingerprinting and Forensic Analysis from the textbook and watch the na
ated presentation for Module 8.
1. In your own words, describe the differences between RFLP and STR analysis. Which type of analysis is more commonly used and why? (200 words)
2. Discuss the limitations of eyewitness testimony compared to DNA fingerprinting. What are the potential pitfalls that could undermine DNA testing? (150 words)
3. The DNA sequence of a portion of the human beta globin gene reads 5’ CCT GAG GAG 3’ while the same region in an individual with sickle cell anemia reads 5’ CCT GTG GAG 3’, a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP). The restriction enzyme DdeI recognizes the sequence 5’ CTNAG 3’ in which “N” is any nucleotide. Explain how this information would allow one to use RFLP analysis to deduce the absence or presence of this allele 200bp from one side of a 500 bp PCR amplicon. Describe how it would be analyzed and what the results would look like for homozygous wild type, heterozygous, and homozygous Sickle+ individuals. (150 words)
4. Suppose you decided to get a gene scan for a genetic disease that has occu
ed in your family in the past. Will a complete DNA sequence be needed? Why or why not? (100 words)
5. Why do you think the FBI added more genetic loci to the CODIS registry? (100 words)
ABT 700: Principles of Biotechnology
Module 8 Assignment: The Hunt for the Golden State Kille
In this exercise, you will read an NPR article about the identification of the Golden State killer and write a short essay on your impressions.
Read the article “In Hunt For Golden State Killer, Investigators Uploaded His DNA To Genealogy Site (Links to an external site.)” from the National Public Radio website.
Evaluate and comment on the technology used to solve a murder case that was over 30 years old. Explain to the best of your ability how detectives were able to identify the specific individual. You may use other sources of information in addition to the linked article but be certain to include links and/or references in your work. (300 words)
Submit a Microsoft Word document in which you answer the above prompt.
ABT 700: Principles of Biotechnology
Module 8 Assignment: SARS-CoV-2 Journal Article Review
In this exercise, you will read 1 of 3 offered journal articles pertaining to epidemiological analyses of SARS-CoV-2 during the pandemic. You will then answer 7 questions about the article.
Read one of the three articles to answer the questions below:
· Gonzalez-Reiche, A. S., Hernandez, M. M., Sullivan, M. J., Cife
i, B., Alshammary, H., Obla, A., ... & van Bakel, H. (2020). Introductions and early spread of SARS-CoV-2 in the New York City area Download Introductions and early spread of SARS-CoV-2 in the New York City area. Science, XXXXXXXXXX), XXXXXXXXXX.
er, B., Fischer, W. M., Gnanakaran, S., Yoon, H., Theiler, J., Abfalterer, W., ... & Montefiori, D. C. (2020). Tracking changes in SARS-CoV-2 Spike: evidence that D614G increases infectivity of the COVID-19 virus Download Tracking changes in SARS-CoV-2 Spike: evidence that D614G increases infectivity of the COVID-19 virus. Cell, 182(4), XXXXXXXXXX.
· European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. (2020). Rapid increase of a SARS-CoV-2 variant with multiple spike protein mutations observed in the United Kingdom—20 December 2020 Download Rapid increase of a SARS-CoV-2 variant with multiple spike protein mutations observed in the United Kingdom—20 December 2020. ECDC: Stockholm.
Submit a Microsoft Word document in which you answer the following questions:
1. Which article did you read? Provide a citation.
2. What are the objectives of the study? (50 words)
3. What was the main finding of the article? (30 words)
4. What method(s) did the authors use to gather support for their hypothesis? (100 words)
5. What evidence do the authors present to support their hypothesis? (100 words)
6. What is the implication of this study to fighting the pandemic? (100 words)
7. What similarities do you see in relation to forensic DNA science? (100 words)