Your L&D report (3,500 words +/- 10%) will be a full written response to your L&D scenario, demonstrating your understanding of the frameworks of good practice, based on the theories, models and concepts we discuss during the module, and your ability to apply these for L&D analysis, design, delivery and evaluation.
Your L&D report should contain seven (7) sections as follows:
Explaining your self-selected L&D scenario and the requirements of the brief.
You should undertake research to enable you to explore the themes of your scenario in order to make reasonable assumptions about the relevant organisation; its business context; the profile of the trainees/learners concerned; the roles and responsibilities for L&D; budgets and costs, as appropriate.
- Organisational context
Exploring the principles underlying good practice L&D using appropriate definitions, theories and models, and making reasonable assumptions where appropriate, to support your analysis:
- Strategic: what is the organisation’s strategy, mission, vision, aims or values? Refer to Barham et al (1988)
- Business-led: what are the PESTLE factors influencing its L&D requirements? Refer to Barham et al (1988)
- Horizontal integration: define and give example of how this is/could be achieved
- Structure and culture: Refer to Handy (1985)
- Adding value (define and give examples of how this might be achieved)
- Consideration of the associated L&D budget and costs of your proposals (reasonable estimates are acceptable)
Discuss the techniques and processes used in L&D needs analysis, then focus on how these could be used in response to your scenario to determine the knowledge, skills or attitude (KSA) requirements for your trainees/learners and how you will evaluate the achievement of your objectives.
Discuss learning theories (eg Honey & Mumford, Kolb, Knowles) and their application to the design of the L&D solution you propose for your scenario.
Discuss the range of L&D methods available and focus on those you consider most appropriate for delivery of the proposed response to your scenario.
Discuss L&D evaluation techniques including Kirkpatrick’s XXXXXXXXXXmodel, ROI and ROE and specify how you would evaluate the L&D solution you have designed and delivered in response to your scenario.
A complete, well written and presented group response, which demonstrates sound understanding of the principles of good practice L&D, and the ability to apply these for analysis and recommendations.