Task 2 Consumer Insight Report (40%)
Task Overview and Instructions
The purpose of this consumer insight report is to apply consumer behaviour theories, concepts and frameworks to a cu
ent marketing problem/opportunity. Using scholarly and reputable sources, you will provide an in-depth report which proposes three theoretically supported marketing strategies. Scholarly and reputable sources include double-blind peer reviewed journal articles, industry reports, textbooks, and pieces from ‘the conversation’. Sources such as Wikipedia should not be cited in this report.
Topics for Consumer Insight Report:
For the purposes of this assessment you can choose one of the following two topics:
1. ‘Game of Clones’-The Dark Side of Consumer Behaviour
2. Home is where the smart is…Encouraging Smart Home Technology Adoption.
Recommended Structure for Report:
For the report, you must follow the detailed structure provided. You should use these headings as a basis for your report, and ensure that it does not exceed the 1,750-word limit.
1. Introduction (Estimated 150 words)
a. Overview of Topic
-Explain why your topic is interesting and why it needs to be investigated.
. Target Market
-Explain and justify what target market you are selecting and why you are selecting that particular market segment for this report.
c. Problem/Opportunity Statement
-Provide a statement which summarises the problem/opportunity which is the focus of this report.
2. Literature Review & Framework (Estimated 750 words)
a. Overview of literature on topic
-Provide an overview as to what previous research and literature has investigated on your topic
-You may use to wish tables here to summarise common points across different sources
-State what theory/theories you will use to investigate your problem/opportunity (a maximum of two theories should be used however, one is sufficient)
-Provide an overview of the theory and justification for your selection
- Link this theory/framework/concept back to your topic
3. Marketing Strategies (Estimated 750 words)
a. Marketing Strategy 1
. Marketing Strategy 2
c. Marketing Strategy 3
*Ensure you explain how each of your strategies relates to your chosen theory
*Also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your strategy
4. Recommendation & Conclusion (Estimated 100 words)
a. Recommended marketing strategy (Pick one of your three suggested and provide justification)
6. Appendix (only if required)
· Ensure a title page with your name and student number is included
· Report should include table of contents with each section listed and relevant page numbe
· References should used APA or Harvard style consistently throughout
· 1.5 line spacing must be used
· Tables and figures must be numbered and labelled
· Include a detailed reference list at the end of the report
· Tables are not included in the word limit (Note: placing paragraphs into a table will be penalised, ensure dot points are used and are short and succinct)
· Appendices are not included in the word count
· Reports will be accepted which are 10% (175 words over or under the limit).
· Ensure you upload your assignment through SafeAssign on or before the due date/time
· It is recommended that you save back up electronic copies
Topic 1: ‘Game of Clones’-The Dark Side of Consumer Behaviour
Where do consumers draw the line? And when is it acceptable/unacceptable to illegally download or pirate a movie or TV series? This is an interesting question and one that is becoming increasingly important to entertainment organisations. This is due to increasing pirating of digital entertainment content such as Dallas Buyers Club and Game of Thrones. What is difficult for entertainment organisations to understand is why consumers continue to choose to partake in this behaviour, even though they are aware of its illegality.
It appears the threats of penalties such as jail time and fines are not discouraging consumers from pirating entertainment. Therefore, online entertainment service providers are looking to you as a consumer behaviour specialist to understand how they can take a new approach to discouraging pirating behaviour and encourage the legal consumption of their products and services.
Readings to Assist:
1. Dootson, Paula, Johnston, Kim A., Beatson, Amanda T., & Lings, Ian XXXXXXXXXXWhere do consumers draw the line? Factors informing perceptions and justifications of deviant consumer behaviour. Journal of Marketing Management, 32(7-8), pp XXXXXXXXXX.
2. Reynolds, K. L., & Ha
is, L. C XXXXXXXXXXDeviant customer behavior: An exploration of frontline employee tactics. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 14(2), 95-111.
3. Dootson, Paula XXXXXXXXXXFrom fare evasion to illegal downloads : the cost of defiance. The Conversation, June(18).
Topic 2: Home is where the smart is…Encouraging Smart Home Technology Adoption.
Recent forecasts suggest the market size for smart homes, modern homes, which have appliances or electronic devices that can be controlled remotely by the owner, will grow to an estimated $40.9 billion by 2020 with a household penetration of 19.5% by 2022. The projected opportunities but also problems smart homes offer households has been a popular discussion point. For example, research suggests smart home technologies will assist households in controlling their demand and use of energy, which benefits household financial well-being and subsequently the environment from reduced energy production pressures. However, there is also discussions of the potential for smart home technologies to
ing about ‘dark side’ issues such as technology-facilitated abuse and privacy and information misuse. The projected opportunities but also problems smart homes offer households has been a popular discussion point. It is important to understand household’s readiness and willingness to engage with smart home technologies so that marketers can encourage greater levels of adoption.
Readings to Assist:
Hubert, M., Blut, M., Brock, C., Zhang, R. W., Koch, V., & Riedl, R XXXXXXXXXXThe influence of acceptance and adoption drivers on smart home usage. European Journal of Marketing.
Rauschnabel, P. A., He, J., & Ro, Y. K XXXXXXXXXXAntecedents to the adoption of augmented reality smart glasses: A closer look at privacy risks. Journal of Business Research, 92, XXXXXXXXXX.
Yang, H., Lee, H., & Zo, H XXXXXXXXXXUser acceptance of smart home services: An extension of the theory of planned behavior. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 117(1), 68-89.
Here are lists of theories/concepts/frameworks you can use. This list is only a guide and as such, you may look to others for your report. If you do find another theory/concept/framework you should discuss this with your tutor.
· Attitudinal Theories (Theory of Reasoned Action/Theory of Planned Behaviou
Model of Goal Directed Behaviour)
· Motivational Theories (Self-Determination Theory)
· Learning Theories (Classical Conditioning/Operant Conditioning/Hierarchy of Needs)