BSBADM503: Assessment 1
What you have to do
In this assignment you will be required to plan, promote, organise and coordinate the proceedings of a work related conference.
Below you will find two possible scenarios. Choose one of them for your task.
Base your task on either Scenario 1 or Scenario 2.
You work for Healthy Lifestyle and have been selected to make the arrangements for your company’s annual staff conference. The conference is to be held in the Hunter Valley, north of Sydney on the first weekend of September from Saturday to Monday. There will be 80 attendees.
Imagine you are employed by a large firm of your choice. You have been selected to make the arrangements for your company’s annual staff conference. Each department will be making a presentation at the conference (such as, marketing, human resources, sales and production). You have been asked to select the location of the venue, for three days in the last week of March. There will be 160 attendees.
When you have made a selection, complete each of the following practical activities based on the scenario you have chosen.
What you have to do
a) Create a conference brochure to introduce the title and theme for your conference.
b) Develop a project management chart (for example, a Gantt chart) which:
- lists all the tasks required to plan and manage the conference, before, during and after the event
- indicates who is responsible for each task
- identifies equipment and human resources (staff) required
c) Develop a detailed budget using Microsoft Excel for the conference, include:
- a breakdown of the expected cost of all conference arrangements
- the expected cost for all consumables
- speakers fees
d) Itemise the conference arrangements, include details for each of the following:
- date and time
- venue and accommodation (include number and type of rooms, for example single, twin)
- furniture required
- conference room layout
- equipment (for example, projectors, access to internet)
e) Create a conference program, include:
- session times and locations
- a brief description of each session
- speaker/presenter names
- meal times and locations
- social event times, locations and descriptions
f) Develop a survey/evaluation tool such as a questionnaire, include a combination of questions such as:
- yes/no questions
- open ended questions
- rating questions
The results of this survey will be presented in Assessment 2.
g) Develop a step by step registration procedure for staff to follow during the conference, including:
- recording attendance
- issuing name tags and information kits
- answering participant queries
- directing participants to sessions and conference facilities
h) A contingency plan outlines the areas of risk and suggests alternative arrangements if things do not go according to plan. Develop a contingency plan to manage unforeseen difficulties in the following areas:
- exceeding allocated budget
- audience handouts
- IT equipment (internet, computers)