1. Examine the impact the War of 1812 had on American industrial development. (150 words)
2. Discuss the role of agriculture in shaping the Old South. Why did cotton become so
important, and what significance did other crops hold for the region? (150 words)
3. What caused the Civil War? (Your answer should not be simply a detailed chronology of
4. Discuss the Dred Scott case and how it impacted the conflict over slavery. (150 words)
5. Describe the Battle of Bull Run. Why was there a sense of naïve optimism, and what impact
did the outcome have on both sides? (150 words)
6. What is the modern concept of a “total war,” and does the Civil War qualify? Why or why not?
7. In 100 words, how much power should a president have to limit civil liberties during
wartime? Did President Lincoln exercise his power appropriately in this regard?