University of Saskatchewan
• No direct quotations allowed. Paraphrased examples only (without in-text
• No Works Cited for submission
• Create 1 MS Word document for the entire exam. Double space your answers.
Write a well-organized and fully developed essay on the topic below, providing specific
examples to support your assertions.
• First-person na
ation both limits and enhances the story being presented.
Discuss how first-person na
ation works in Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby
Write a well-organized and fully developed essay on one (1) of the following topics, providing
specific examples from James’ The Turn of the Screw to support your assertions.
1. If the ghosts of Peter Quint and Miss Jessel reflect elements of the governess’
personality, what does each ghost represent?
2. Is the governess a reliable na
ator who tells her story accurately and believably about
seeing ghosts at Bly?
3. If we cannot accept that the governess is not a reliable storyteller, then how do we
account for the ghosts that the governess claims to see?