BS 6100 Strategic Management
The individual assignment is worth 60% of the module mark. To encourage better understanding of the course, and to aid students prior to the submission of the assignment, you are expected to present your work in class (please see schedule in the Module Handwork). Your lecturer will allocate the timing and sequence of your individual presentation. You are to use Turnitin and submit your assignment in soft copy. The individual assignment should consist of no more than 3000 words which include the executive summary. Appendices and list of references are not included in the word count. Exceeding the word count will incur a 5 marks penalty. Late submission of your assignment will be penalised in accordance to the rules written in the Module Handbook. Submission date must be strictly adhered to as no extension of the assignment will be allowed. You are to present your work in REPORT FORMAT.
Individual Assignment Brief:
Lazada Group operates Lazada, Southeast Asia’s number one online shopping and selling destination, with presence in Indonesia (www.lazada.co.id), Malaysia (www.lazada.com.my), the Philippines (www.lazada.com.ph), Singapore (www.lazada.sg), Thailand (www.lazada.co.th) and Vietnam (www.lazada.vn).
Launched in March 2012, Lazada Group has grown rapidly to approximately 7,000 FTEs. The company has an online footprint of 5 million daily visits to its sites and mobile apps, and the largest Facebook following in Southeast Asia with more than 13 million fans.
Lazada is pioneering eCommerce in the region by providing customers with an effortless shopping experience with multiple payment methods including cash-on-delivery, extensive customer care and free returns. Lazada features a wide product offering in categories ranging from consumer electronics to household goods, toys, fashion and sports equipment. As Lazada is actively seeking new markets to grow its eCommerce business, it is imperative for the company to consolidate its market position as well as exploring potential markets to drive growth. For the purpose of this report, you will use Lazada as your choice company. You are to:
1. Analyse the value chain of Lazada – 20 marks
2. Identify key competencies of Lazada and justify how the company capitalises its strengths to gain its competitive advantage in Singapore – 20 marks
3. Conduct a macro environmental scan of a new market of your choice – 20 marks
4. You are to consider the strengths of the top 3 eCommerce companies in the new market of your choice and explain how Lazada can compete effectively against the incumbents – 20 marks
5. Consider the different mode of entry available, you are to choose the most desirable mode of entry for Singtel and justify your choice – 20 marks
5th January 2018, Monday 4PM (SG date and Time)