Assignment: Oil, Gas, Fossils, and Layers
1. Is Layer D at Well 4 a good place to find oil?
A. No. Oil from source rocks cannot get to it.
C. No. There is no layer to trap the oil.
D. No. It is too hard to suck the oil out of that type of rock.
2. If you drilled at Well 3, in which layer would you expect to find oil?
None. This is not a good well to drill
3. LOOK AT WELL #3
Which layer is the best potential reservoir rock in this well?
(Answer this question even if the oil wouldn’t accumulate in a good trap).
4. Which layer is a potential source rock for oil in this well?
5. What would happen to oil that leaves that potential source rock at this well?
A. It will sink
B. It will accumulate at well 3.
C. It will travel up and to the left
D. It will flow straight up to the surface
E. It will travel up and to the right
6. Which well would you choose to drill in order to get the most oil?
7. What is the most common gas given off when you burn fossil fuels?