Assessment 1: Employment Application
This assessment is for these students only:Gold Coast; Melbourne - Hotel School; Online; Sydney - Hotel School.
|Learning outcomes||Grading indicator||Min Score||Weight||Length/|
|Employment Application||Individual||1, 2||Graded||N/A||30%||1500 words||16 Jul 2018 5:00 PM||N/A|
Format:There are three (3) components to this assessment:
- Professional Email – subject linemustread: Your name, MNG03236 Application.
- Application Letter and Résumé/CV – single Word document saved as Your Name Application.doc.
- Response tooneselection criteria from chosen job advertisement
- Email (1 paragraph)
- Application Letter (1 page) and Résumé/CV (2–3 pages)
- Selection criteria response (2 paragraphs)
Submit:via email to your lecturer (check the Contact Details link on the MySCU Blackboard site)
Guidelines to the employment application
This assessment item is an opportunity to customise this part of your study to suit your own individual needs, interests and career aspirations. You need to find anadvertisedposition that you would be likely to apply for when seeking an internship or graduate position. It should be relevant to your degree and realistic for your level of experience. Constructing your Employment/Internship Application is an exercise designed to develop your professional writing skills; and ability to understand and respond to the requirements of job applications and business success.
This assessment also tests your editing skills and attention to detail, to ensures that your application is error free and of the highest quality. This assessment item is designed to be used by you as an ongoing working document to assist you in securing an appropriate internship position or employment upon graduation.
1. Professional email
- This should be grammatically correct, have no spelling errors or inappropriate abbreviations and contain a brief message explaining the purpose of the email and list the attached documents.
- You should also use the ‘signatures’ function on your email program to ensure that your name and contact details are always professionally presented and clearly shown on application emails. This will allow a potential employer to quickly contact you if they have difficulties opening the attachments.
Note: Although you will be emailing this assessment directly to your lecturer, you should address the email to the person and organisation that you are applying for a position with.
2. Attachment 1–Application letter andRésumé
- This should be an application letter written in response to an advertised position. You should choose aposition which will be similar to one that you wish to gain for your future internship or graduate position.
- The letter should be a maximum of one (1) page, typed, single-spaced, A4.
- The letter should follow correct five paragraph, business letter format as per the template available oin the Unit Content section of the MySCU/Blackboard site
- Insert a section break (not page break) at the bottom of your cover letter to ensure that your layout stays as itshould when transferred across different computers. This will also assist you in setting up footers on yourrésumé.
- Do not use a footer or page number at the bottom of your letter.
- Your application letter always comes before your résumé.
- A résumé or curriculum vitae (CV) is the standard and accepted way of setting out in an ordered andfactual format, the key aspects of your professional background or working history.
- This should be part of the same Word document as your application letter and start on the page directlyafter your application letter.
- You must include a footer with your name and page number on pages two and three of your résumé (i.e.not on the first page of your résumé).
- You must include page breaks at the end of each page to preserve formatting and page layouts
- Your résumé content should be appropriate for the type of position you are targeting.
- Your résumé must include personal contact details, previous education, work history, skills,achievements, and contact details for three referees.
- Your résumé should be no more than three (3) pages, typed, single-spaced.
- See guidelines for résumé format contained in CV guides and templates in the Unit Content.
3. Attachment 2– Response to one selection criteria
This is a separate document headed, ‘Addressing the Selection Criteria’. This will be for an advertised job of your choice that requires applicants to address the selection criteria as part of the application process (typically these are government roles). This job can be different from the one you are targeting in your application letter and résumé.
You must identify a job that has a downloadable Selection Criteria document/information and select one criteria from this document that you will address. Use the wording of the selection criterion as a sub-heading and following the guidelines relating to selection criteria from Topic2 (Understanding the applicationprocess), address a single selection criterion in 1–2 paragraphs.
See the MySCU site – Assessment Tasks and Submission link – for the feedback sheet for this assessment and be sure to check your work against those criteria before submitting.