Assessment 1 Current Sustainability Issues facing the Tourism Industry In Australia
Impact Report Type:
Due Date: (Due 13th August 2020)
Length: Report should be 1,800 – 2,500 words
The Tourism Industry is Vulnerable to Sustainability Issues
TheCOVID-19 pandemichas had a significant impact onthe tourismindustry due tothe resulting travel restrictionsas well as slump in demand among travellers. The tourism industry has been massively affected by the spread ofcoronavirus, as many countries have introduced travel restrictions in an attempt to contain its spread. TheUnited Nations World Tourism Organizationestimated that global international tourist arrivals might decrease by 20–30% in 2020, leading to a potential loss of US$30–50 billion. In many of the world's cities, planned travel went down by 80–90%. Conflicting and unilateral travel restrictions occurred regionallyand many tourist attractions around the world, such as museums, amusement parks, and sports venues closed.
Tourism plays a vital role in Australia’s economy. At the same time, it is vulnerable to world events, environmental changes and economic fluctuation. Understanding the effect of these factors is key to maintaining stability and growth. and growth
This assessment is comprised of multiple parts. From a macro perspective, the student needs to have an awareness of the Tourism Industry’s contribution to the Australian economy in terms of the financial impacts and its workforce. Discuss the domestic and international components of tourism and identify what are the enablers and barriers to Tourism. Explain how does the multiplier effect due to money spent by a tourist encourage growth in other sectors of industry.
The tourism industry is particularly vulnerable to external forces such as the Australian bush fires in October 2019 and the present pandemic. To understand external forces, you need to define and differentiate between natural disasters, man-made disaster events and unexpected events. Choose a tourist destination in Australia and discuss how would the negative effects of climate change impact the social, cultural, economic and environmental conditions of the host community and its stakeholders. Analyse and discuss the relationship between these external forces and tourism in order that your tourist destination can have proper disaster recovery plans to make critical decisions in relation to the recovery, reconstruction and marketing strategies.
Finally, define what is sustainable tourism. Analyse how can sustainable tourism maintain a high level of tourist satisfaction and ensure a meaningful experience to the tourists while raising awareness about sustainability issues and promoting sustainable tourism practices? In order to ensure that sustainable tourism aims are met, tourism stakeholders need to consider the positive and negative impacts of tourism. Your discussion must consider the 3 pillars of sustainable development: the social, environmental and economic. They must make sure that the positive impacts are maximised and that the negative impacts are minimised.
The report should include the following:
· A Title Page with the student’s name and student number, the subject code and title, the name of the lecturer/tutor, and the title of the assessment;
· A Table of Contents with section numbers, section titles/headings (see below for guidance) and page numbers;
· An Introduction that provides an overview of the overall theme of the report;
· The Main Body of the report in sections, which should include the following elements:
· Research and discuss the enablers and barriers of Tourism as a driver of economic growth in Australia. Describe the direct and indirect impacts of the multiplier effect and the dependency of the workforce on a vibrant Tourism industry
· Explore the relationship between natural disasters, man-made disaster events and unexpected events and tourism. Analyse the considerations of a tourist destination in Australia to the recovery, reconstruction and marketing after an external force had devastated the destination
· Provide a detailed and comprehensive analysis of sustainable tourism as an industry committed to making a low impact on the environment and host community, while contributing to generate income and employment
· A Conclusion, which summarises the main findings of the report
· A Reference List and in-text referencing in APA Referencing Style with a minimum of three (3) academic journal articles, texts (e.g. the prescribed texts), government sources and relevant media sources (e.g. newspaper articles, trade publications) to support your discussion; and
· Appendices: e.g. charts, graphs, maps (optional)
ASSESSMENT CRITERIA USED TO GRADE THIS TASK:
1. Research and discuss the enablers and barriers of Tourism as a driver of economic growth. Describe the direct and indirect impacts of the multiplier effect and the dependency of the workforce on a vibrant Tourism industry. (5 marks)
2. Explore the relationship between natural disasters, man-made disaster events and unexpected events and tourism. Analyse the considerations of destinations to the recovery, reconstruction and marketing. (6 marks)
3. Provide a detailed and comprehensive analysis of sustainable tourism as an industry committed to making a low impact on the environment and host community, while contributing to generate income and employment. (6 marks)
4. Overall Presentation, i.e. Transition is logical – font, spacing Grammar, spelling, expression In-text referencing and reference list has at least 3 academic references. APA referencing used throughout is consistent and accurate and demonstrated ability to reference a range of both primary and secondary sources both in-text and using a reference list. (3 marks)