Veterinary Entomology in the 'real' world!The goal of this assignment is to learn about the impacts of insects or arachnids from a veterinary, medical, or entomological professional (e.g., veterinarian, doctor, vet tech, nurse, physician assistant, public health worker, clinician, academic, scientist, pest control expert, pet groomer) or someone training to become a professional (e.g., medical school student, veterinary school student). Your interview can take place via phone, Skype, Zoom, e-mail, or Facebook, etc.
Use the Word file templatehereDownload hereto develop your assignment.Please ask your interview subject the questions listed on the template (also pasted below for your reference) and transcribe their answers within the document. After you complete the interview, answer the 'Reflection' prompts in template (also pasted below for your reference). Once the transcript and reflection are completed please upload a Word ('doc' or 'docx' file extension) or PDF file to submit your assignment.
Ask these questions to your interviewee and transcribe their answers:
- What is your job position/title and profession?(1 pt)
- How many years of experience do you have in this profession?(1 pt)
- Describe a problem, situation, or disease relevant to human or veterinary health that you encountered/researched in your profession and wasdirectlycaused by aninsectorarachnid(2 pts)
- How did you mitigate, diagnose, or research this problem, disease, or situation?(2 pts)
- Describe a problem, situation, or disease caused byinsectsorarachnidsthat you are most concerned about emerging in the future anddirectlythreatening animal and/or human health ?(2 pts)
- What advice do you have for students/trainees aspiring to succeed in your profession?(2 pts)
- Reflection prompts:
- Conduct a web search on the problem, situation, or disease that your interviewee mentioned in question #3 or #5 above and then in 2-3 sentences describe how an insect or arachniddirectlycauses the problem, situation, or disease inyour own words(3 pts).
- Provide a url (web link) to a website you used as a reference to answer Relection Prompt #1(2 pts)
- Note that if during your research you find the problem, disease, or situation was not directly caused by an insect or arachnid then please contact Dr. Piermarini ASAP for clarification.
- In 1-2 sentences describe something new you learned about Medical/Veterinary Entomology and/or the interviewee's profession(2 pts)
- In 1-2 sentences describe a fact or concept you previously learned about in Veterinary Entomology that was reinforced by your interview(2 pts).
- Indicate the module and topic of the course where you first learned about this fact or concept(1 pt)