Our final paper assignment will be a Compare/Contrast paper. We will look at the two poems, “The Pennycandystore Beyond the El,” and “Oranges”(see the attachments) below and discuss the two ways they are similar and two ways they are different. This can be about the format of the poem, the style, the tone, the emotions, the devices being used or the content. Follow the pattern I have created below for an easy way to organize your essay.
This should take you from 3-5 pages. There must be a thesis statement in the first paragraph. All body paragraphs should have topic sentences and stick to one idea. Your paragraphs should be well-developed and provide evidence from the text. Develop your ideas. Give your essay a title.
Format for Compare/Contrast Essay
· Introductory Paragraph: Introduce your essay. Make sure you mention the names of both poems and their authors.
Have a thesis statement that clearly mentions what you find similar in the two poems and what you find different. Be specific
· Body Paragraph 1: Give examples of one way the poems are similar. Use evidence from the texts to support your claims.
· Body Paragraph 2: Discuss another way the poems are similar.
· Transition: At the end of Body paragraph 2 make sure to mention that you are now going to talk about the differences.
· Body Paragraph 3: Discuss the first difference
· Body Paragraph 4: Discuss the second difference
· Conclusion: Restate your thesis and make some closing remarks
All paragraphs must be a minimum of 5 sentences and stick to one topic.
Go back and look at Sonnet 18 by William Shakespeare. To whom do you think the speaker is speaking? (his audience) and what is he trying to say. Try to figure out what thethisis in the last line. Discuss.