Digital poster: Description
This assessment task requires you to develop a (audio) narrated PowerPoint poster relating to a selected research question. From the perspective of your selected research question, you will develop a strategy to access relevant research evidence and analyse the literature you have sourced. You will then develop recommendations and an evidence bottom line statement based on a synthesis of your literature. Your audio presentation will address your PowerPoint poster (further details in Submission information).
Your poster should be no more than 600 words (10%+/-)
Learning outcomes measured
Explain the key concepts and principles of the research process and outline the importance of evidence-based practice approaches for the provision of safe and quality health care and for the global health research agenda.
Apply key literacy and critical thinking skills to locate, seek, interpret, analyse, synthesise and integrate evidence into practice.
Apply knowledge of quantitative and qualitative approaches to explain their role in research of contemporary, global health care issues
What you need to do
This assessment task requires you to develop and present a digital poster that shows your understanding of the accessing and appraising relevant evidence regarding a specific research question.
1. Begin by choosing one of the following clinical questions:
Does scalp cooling for patients receiving chemotherapy have an impact on alopecia?
Does managing anxiety in patients withdrawing from alcohol have a positive effect?
2. Decide on your strategy to locate and examine evidence related to your topic:
Which databases will you search to find relevant evidence?
What are the keywords and limits for the searches?
What type/s of evidence is required to answer the question?
How will you decide on the level of evidence for each of the papers you have sourced?
How will you decide which papers are of sufficient quality for your poster?
3. Source a minimum of 5 research papers at the highest level of evidence and consider any gaps or limitations to the evidence you have found.
4. Synthesise the evidence from your chosen papers to establish 3 key recommendations and create an evidence bottom line statement.
5. Create an AO size digital poster using PowerPoint that summarises your investigation of the chosen research question and communicates the key findings and proposed recommendations. The structure of your poster must address the following elements (also see the graphic on p. 4):
The research question you have chosen
Background to the health problem (100 words)
The search strategy you have used (50 words)
A summary of the evidence you have found, including the study design and level of evidence (300 words).
Any gaps or limitations to the evidence (50 words)
3 key recommendations (50 words)
An evidence bottom line statement (50 words)
Citations/references using Vancouver format (not included in the word count). Click here QUT Cite Write Vancouver guide.
6. You will also record a audio commentary of your presentation and include it with your PowerPoint slide. You can do this by selecting the recording tab from the top of the page and then select record audio. Please listen back to your presentation before submission to ensure your audio has recorded correctly and your voice is clear.
7. Graphics may be used to enhance your poster.
8. Use the poster templates provided as they have been correctly sized.
What you need to submit
Submit an A0 size PowerPoint poster that includes your narrated commentary.