Project #2 will allow you to apply the material we have studied in the course to a real-life finance problem. Specifically, you or your group will be required to:
· Complete an APV valuation of a potential acquisition target.
· Calculate the valuation impact of a recapitalization on the firm after the acquisition.
· Recommend and support an appropriate offer price for the target firm.
· Fully support your recommendation showing your understanding of acquisition analysis.
The Project has two parts.
· Submit Analysis (Excel spreadsheet with formulas) and Question Responses by Sunday, December 15th
at 11:59 PM (AZ time).
This project consists of performing an APV analysis first with no change then with a change in capital structure. Please read the information below.
Bear Down, Inc. (“BDI”) is looking to acquire a distressed pitch fork company based in Phoenix called Devil’s R Us (“DRU”). BDI is a profitable corporate conglomerate with strong free cash flow and the ability to pay cash to fund the acquisition. President Wilma has asked you to evaluate the potential acquisition, and ultimately make a recommendation about whether BDI should purchase DRU and if so, for what price.
From your analysis and evaluation of DRU’s financial statements, you put together the following table of sales forecasts (numbers in millions):
You also gathered the following market information:
Risk Free Rate
Market Risk Premium
Further analysis led you to determine the following information on DRU:
Pre-Merger % Debt
Pre-Merger Debt Rd
Your study of the pitchfork market shows that with the merger and introduction of a new cardinal red and navy blue pitchfork sales will grow strongly for the next two years, but that overall the market is mature, and expected to grow at only a 2% constant rate after 2020. BDI would need to invest $0.5 million in operating capital in 2019 to build the necessary inventory to start sales.
Complete an APV valuation analysis for DRU using Excel.
Answer the following questions:
1. Assume that DRU has 1.5 million shares outstanding. What is the maximum price BDI should offer per share? Would you recommend they offer this price (DRU’s cu
ent stock price is $18.75 per share)? Why or why not?
2. Given BDI’s strong balance sheet, they could likely recapitalize DRU with 70% debt at the end of 2 years (this amounts to $75.5 million of debt at the end of 2020 at the same interest rate). What is the value of DRU’s equity with this capital structure? What is the new maximum price per share after recapitalization?
The case project will be graded based on the following criteria:
% of Total