Assessment Task 2 (BSBHRM404)
Assessment Tasks and Instructions
Review human resource functions
Assessment for this Unit of Competency/Cluste
Task 1 – Case Study
Review human resources functions
Task 2 – case study
Analyse and report on HR metrics
Student to Select co
ect attempt number. Assessors to adjust if not co
ect or entered.
By due date or before
ections to be made within 2 weeks
Only when needed. Fees may apply.
Assessments must be your OWN work. Fees will apply if proven and an alternate assessment may be given.
The assessment task is due on the date specified by your assessor. Any variations to this a
angement must be approved in writing by your assessor.
Submit this document with any required evidence attached. See specifications below for details.
You will need to demonstrate skills and knowledge required to analyse HR metrics and report on research outcomes.
Using the simulated business documentation provided, you will identify sources of relevant internal and external workforce data, analyse workforce data, identify options for change and develop recommendations. You will then prepare a report for senior management on your findings and recommendations.
You must submit:
· a written report.
Your assessor will be looking for:
· judgement and decision-making skills to review ethical and policy frameworks and recommend suggested improvements
· literacy skills to:
· research an issue
· write a clear and legible report that documents key issues coherently
· technology skills to:
· gather and analyse workforce data
· manage data in human resources information systems according to legislation and policies
· knowledge of human resources functions and policy frameworks
· knowledge of roles and responsibilities of human resources practitioners.
Analyse and report on HR metrics
· Review the following scenario:
· Review the JKL Industries simulated business information provided by your assessor.
You are an HR consultant contracted by JKL to:
· analyse workforce data and evaluate HR functions
· identify options and prepare recommendations for improvement of HR based on your analysis of data.
You will need to prepare a written report for senior management with recommendations for improvement.
First you will need to access workforce data. Note that:
· JKL collects data on demographics, training, performance appraisal and important metrics such as absentee rates and turnover data. This data is stored on the organisation’s HRMS in accordance with the organisation’s recordkeeping policies.
· Performance information is also available from the organisation’s accounting system and various management reports.
This data is available in spreadsheet format from your JKL Industries HR contact person (your assessor).
Assessment Task 2 BSBHRM404 Review human resources functions
S:\Dropbox files\1_qms\Training and Assessment\1. BUSINESS IV\BSBHRM404 Review human resource functions\Assessment 2 -Task-2.docx
© 2015 Innovation and Business Industry Skills Council Ltd 1st edition version: 1
Page 6 of 6
Appendix 1: Organisational performance for FY 2014–2015
Provide value to investors and owners
Increase overall profitability by 10% over next three years
Reduce costs through negotiations with suppliers
$ (10% reduction in supplier costs)
5% cost reduction
Reduce costs through HR management efficiencies
$ (5% reduction in HR service delivery costs)
1% cost reduction
Increase revenue by providing increased customer value
$ (10 increase)
2% revenue increase
Exit underperforming markets
(exit from rental market)
Provide value to customers
JKL Industries will continue to sell and service forklifts and expand their market share by 7% within the next 12–18 months
Increase customer satisfaction
Customer satisfaction rating (90%)
Expand market share by 7% within the next 12–18 months
% market share (27%)
anches to include the sale of medium and large trucks within 18 months
(completion of expansion)
Develop workforce potential
Provide required training to meet workforce needs
Deliver training to upskill all rental employees
% employees completed training (100%)
Become an Employer of Choice
Retain managerial talent through rewards, promotion and training
Turnover rate (10%)
See turnover data
Increase employee satisfaction
Absenteeism rate (1%)
Average climate survey rating (3.5)
See absenteeism data
See climate survey data
Manage performance and adherence to organisational values
Communicate organisational values and code of conduct
% employees and managers completed values training (100%)
Promote levels of diversity in workplace proportional to percentage of population
% female managers (50); % ATSI (2.7%)
See demographics data
Assessment 2 – Part A Theory
1. Identify sources of data to evaluate effectiveness of HR functions. Identify at least one source each of internal and external information.
Sources of data
2. Use appropriate technology to contact your assessor (your JKL Industries HR contact person) to:
ange for access to workforce data
. review the workforce data made available to you by your assessor (File: AT2_WFData.xlsx).
3. Analyse the workforce data to determine trends, evaluate effectiveness of HR functions, and identify factors that might positively or negatively influence business or HR goals. Experiment with ways to present the data for ease of understanding and analysis.
Effectiveness of HR Functions
Factors that might positively or negatively influence business or HR goals
Ways to present the data for ease of understanding and analysis
4. Identify four to six options for change. In deciding on which options to pursue as recommendations, consider such things as organisational culture, fit, cost, etc.
Options for change
5. Determine which options would be best to recommend to management in order to improve HR functions, based on your analysis of workforce data.
Best way to improve HR Functions
Assessment 2 – Part B Report
6. Using written communication skills and writing in a formal style appropriate to your audience, prepare a clear and persuasive management report on your findings.
Write the report on the following page.
a. an executive summary
. a short discussion of sources of workforce data used, including all options considered and pursued
c. a presentation of your findings in a clear and readily understood format
d. an analysis of your findings including key trends and important implications of the data
e. an assessment of the effectiveness of HR functions in terms of achieving business goals:
i. If, for example, you identify high rates of turnover or absenteeism, consider what this means with regard to HR efforts to retain staff end encourage development and performance. How will poor HR performance impact business goals?
f. several options for change (four to six options).
g. three recommendations for improving HR functions to, for example, reduce risk to goals, mitigate negative trends, or build on opportunities, ensuring your recommendations are supported by the workforce data
Include in your report
Included in report
From which question
· an executive summary
· a short discussion of sources of workforce data used, including all options considered and pursued
· an analysis of your findings including key trends and important implications of the data
an assessment of the effectiveness of HR functions in terms of achieving business goals:
· identify high rates of turnover or absenteeism
· consider what this means with regard to HR efforts to retain staff end encourage development and performance.
· How will poor HR performance impact business goals?
several options for change (four to six options).
· Option 1
· Option 2
· Option 3
· Option 4
· Option 5
· Option 6
Three recommendations for improvement of HR functions.
· improve policies or procedures
· sustainability practices
· ethical practice
· presentation of your findings in a clear and readily understood format