Assessment item 3Addendum to report on the 7 Eleven caseValue:35%Due date:09-Oct-2017Return date:30-Oct-2017Length:1,400 words -/+ 10%Submission method optionsAlternative submission method
This assessment extends the analysis that you completed in Assessment 2. You are asked to discuss the implications of the7 Eleven inquiry report for non-union forms of employee representation and bargaining structures in the Australian ER system.
Turn your mind to the following questions:
1. To what extent would non-union forms of employee representation and voice alleviate the issues raised in the case? Support your answer with evidence relating to non-union representation.
2. What changes to bargaining structures in the retail industry do you believe are appropriate to avoid the issues that arose in the 7 Eleven case. Support your answer with reference to relevant evidence regarding the effectiveness of bargaining structures in Australia. You may introduce overseas examples if relevant.
As this assessment extends your work in Assessment 2, it is not necessary to repeat that material in detail. It will be sufficient to provide an overview of the 7 Eleven case and then move into your answer to this assessment task.
This assessment will help you to demonstrate your achievement of the following learning outcomes in HRM523:
- synthesise and apply theoretical frameworks and scholarly research to critically analyse issues relating to the practice of industrial relations in Australia;
- employ academic writing and information literacy skills to produce robust, well-supported argument related to industrial relations issues;
- produce informed, relevant and well-communicated business advice and/or research papers relating to industrial relations issues.
Marking criteriaMarking guide for Assessment 3
|Application of specialist knowledge (incl theory perspectives)20 marks||Relevant ER knowledge from academic, professional and news sources is applied with critical thought to analyse multiple points of view in addressing the question.||Relevant ER knowledge from academic, professional and news sources is applied critically to analyse the positions of the major stakeholders in addressing the question.||ER knowledge is used to support the argument. However, the sources are not all of good quality, and/or they are not used effectively to support an independent argument.||ER knowledge is used to describe the case and to describe points of view relating to the question. The paper does not move far beyond description and assertion of others’ views. The extent of value add in critical thought is limited.||Does not address the question.|
|Business recommendations(15 marks)(Note: marks will be deducted for poor referencing and failure to follow the presentation instructions.)||The recommendation are fully consistent with the analysis of the questions and informed by relevant sources.||Recommendations are consistent with the analysis; however, there may be gaps in consistency and/or supporting material.||Recommendations address the gaps identified; however, the recommendations may be overly general or otherwise uneven in the extent to which they address the gaps identified. There may also be gaps in the justification of the recommendations.||Recommendations may be superficial or not well connected to the analysis, or be poorly justified.||Does not address this part of the question.|
Use the following format for this report.
- Title page, showing the subject and assessment details, your name and student number, and the word count (this will be checked)
- Table of contents page (not included in the word count)
- Appropriate headings and sub headings, with numbered paragraphs and sub-paragraphs
- Reference list of sources that have been cited in the report. There is no minimum number of references. (Fifteen appropriate references is a guide only.)
An executive summary is not required.
The title page, table of contents and reference list page/s are not included in the word count. Everything else is included. Words contained in tables and images are included. Do not use appendices, footnotes or endnotes.
Use 1.5 line spacing and 12 point font.
Marks will be deducted for incorrect referencing and for failure to follow the instructions.