1. No introduction or conclusion necessary. Get straight to the point,
starting with the first paragraph, first bit of information, and stating your
position with supporting evidence (i.e. relevant ethical regulation and/or
2. Use plain language and concise sentences – avoid descriptive passages
about the ethical and legal provisions. It is safe to assume that your
markers know these.
3. Marks will be deducted for descriptive rather than analytical content. You
have 2000 words to show us you know the material. Description shows us
that you don’t.
4. Number your paragraphs then give the analysis we need to allocate
marks. Look at the Marking Rubric to see where the marks are
distributed and why.
5. Do NOT rely on Google to conduct research. This does not mean we are
discouraging you from doing extra research. If you want to learn about
appropriate research methods for university assignments, attend a
library research workshop.
6. Google will return American material on American law, which is not the
same as Australian law. Marks will be deducted for use of American
sources to support Australian points of legal principle or rule.
7. Law students: remember that the assignments are meant to be addressed
from a professional communication perspective so you will need to think
about them from the journalist/PR person’s point of view and not only
from the legal reasoning perspective. Go beyond IRAC and use IRAP =
Issue Rule Application Position (yours).
8. Please ensure you devote enough time to doing the assignment if you are
shooting for a particular WAM across your course. Do NOT ask teaching
staff to change marks because you want to get a higher WAM. They are
not authorised to do so, and requesting it/doing so breaches University
Policy. Marks allocated at Cloud Deakin assessment boxes are final & all
marks are awarded in whole numbers, not fractions.
9. Use either Harvard OR AGLC referencing method. NO footnotes are to be
used if Harvard is selected. NO Reference List is required if AGLC is
selected. You will find a Guide to Harvard Referencing in the Resources
11. Word count has to be 10% above or below 2000 words only. Exceeding
this leeway will result in marks deducted as this is a professional
outsourcing of assignments) will be reported to the Faculty Academic
Progress and Discipline Committee. Staffcannot communicatefurther
withstudentsregarding marking on that assessmentitem. Possible
for the assignment, fail grade for unit, exclusion from course.
13. No extensions will be granted or considered on either assignment without
a Medical Certificate and a completed Assignment Extension Application
form submitted to your tutor. Forms can be found at