1. Looking at your life, to what degree do you have an intended versus emergent strategy? Are the classes you are now taking and planning to take in the next term more a function of intended steps or of positive and negative consequences encountered as you took classes over time?
1. With this assessment in mind. What do you see as the positive and negative aspects of intended and emergent strategies for individuals or for organizations?
Closing Case: Blockbuster Fast Forwards for Growth
This case details the history of Blockbuster, the massive video rental chai nothing in particular the points along the way where BB changed its strategy. It offers wide latitude for practicing many of the analytical tools presented and in chapter 3.
1. How aggressively should Blockbuster move into selling video game players, games, and accessories versus its past focus on rentals? Why do you think it was slow to enter the DVD Sales market?
2. Has the Blockbuster concept lost its novelty in the US market? Can a subscription strategy help revive it?
3. Should Blockbuster push harder into international markets, where digital on demand technology is not yet available?
4. In what other ways can Blockbuster try to redefine its core business and pursue other options in entertainment or home electronics? Or do you believe such a strategy would fragment the business?